Downstream to the mediterranean sea
From the Base to the Sea
(available in june)
14km – Return via minibus
Aged 8 years and above
Where can you canoe or kayak on the Côte d’Azur?
Come to Roquebrune-sur-Argens in the Var and discover this super spot to enjoy canoeing on the river.
Enjoy canoeing on the natural side of the Côte d’Azur - tranquillity and relaxation guaranteed!
Come and get away for a wonderful day of canoeing, when you follow the river Argens all the way from Roquebrune down to the sea. Here you are so close to the beaches, yet in another world, far from the hubbub. Tranquillity and relaxation combined with a bit of sport and discovery.
Once you have checked-in at the reception, we’ll explain the stages of the route and give you a map of the route with information about the natural habitat that you’ll come across.
Then you can pick up a container to stow you affairs, and your life jacket and paddle. We’ll also help you into your canoe or kayak. Now it’s time to set off by yourselves on your adventure down to sea!
After paddling for about 2km you’ll arrive at the Béal Dam (also called Les Iscles). You’ll enjoy the calm of the river and may have come across pond turtles, European bee-eaters or kingfishers… You then go around the dam on foot pulling your canoes and rejoin the water where you can enjoy a pause for a rest and swim in the river at this charming spot.
Then after a section of calm and meandering bends you start on the final section down to the beach – just another 7km to go ;-) You’ll have another dam, the Verteil, to bypass on foot carrying or pulling your canoes for a few metres. After paddling the final kilometres the river starts to widen, and suddenly there you are at the sea! You’ve made it!
Your achievement is rewarded with the chance to discover this wonderful natural site around the mouth of the river Argens. Now you can relax and enjoy the environment and have a well-earned swim in the sea or the river. You might even get to watch the swans or the kite surfers!
Then it is time to go to the meeting point and our minibus that brings you directly back to the Base at Roquebrune.
Useful to know:
Timing: A departure at 9am will enable you to be amongst the first out on the river and more easily spot the wildlife (herons, kingfishers…)
About the wildlife:
• These are some of the animals that you might spot on your trip – Kingfishers, Swallows, European bee eaters, Turtles, Black Kites
• The best time to come and discover the European Bee Eaters is from April to July.
• The best time to observe the birds of prey, like the Black Kite, is from May to mid-July.
About the route :
• You need to quite sporty to do this route, as there is some current to navigate and you have to paddle in order to make headway.
• Navigate on one of our canoes through the heart of a preserved environment classified Natura 2000, yet still on the Cote d’Azur
• A canoe trip that is a bit more sporty and that requires some endurance
• A chance to switch off and enjoy the peace and quiet in the Var
• Have a lunchtime picnic or snack by the river at our base at Puget Plage (not included in the price)
• A relaxing swim once you get to the sea
• Return trip to the Base du Rocher in our minibus
- Sun protection (sun cream , hat, sunglasses)
- Swimming kit (bathing suit, towel, water shoes)
- Shoes must be closed (no flipflops)
- Change of clothes (a shower is available)
cash, credit/debit cards, cheques vacances.
From the Base to the mediterranean
|Duration||Tarrif per canoe|
|*4 seater canoe for 2 adults and 2 children under 10|
from 21st April to 30st September
from 9 am to 7 pm
Aged 5 years and above