Down River to the Béal
Down River to the Béal
2 hours or ½ day
4km round trip, or more if you like, by Canoe or Paddle
If you are looking for a family-friendly spot in the Var to do some canoeing, then this route from Roquebrune-sur-Argens is waiting for you – by canoe or paddle board.
Relaxation guaranteed during your experience of the natural side of the Cote d’Azur!
Once you have checked-in at the reception, we’ll explain the stages of the route and give you a map of the route with information about the natural habitat that you’ll come across. Then you can pick up a container to stow you affairs, and your life jacket and paddle. We’ll also help you into your canoe or kayak. Then it is off downstream towards the sea.
Your destination is the Béal Dam (also known as the Iscles Dam) some 2km from your start point. Once at the dam you can enjoy a swim in the river, observe the wildlife, collect shells and take in the peace of the site.
Take a picnic or a snack to get yourself ready for the paddle back to the start point at the Base du Rocher. On the way back you’ll have great views of the red Rocher de Roquebrune and may also spot Swallows and European Bee-eaters as they chase their insect prey.
Useful to know:
• A morning outing gives you the best sunlight on the red Rocher, so is a great time for photos. Also a good time for spotting wildlife (heron, kingfishers….)
• The end of the afternoon between 4pm and 7pm is also a great time, when the sunlight is a less strong and the reflections are magical – a bit cooler and fewer canoeists on the river
• The best time to see the European Bee-eater birds is April to July
• In tharly afternoon the oe enshore ses abreezes arrive, and this cools down the atmosphere a bit and ripples appear on the river.
• Navigate in the heart of the Côte d’Azur and discover the nature reserve Natura 2000
• Really cool route for families – not too far and no difficulties/obstacles
• A calm environment to switch off
• A refreshing swim once you reach the Béal dam
• Autonomy and freedom (no guide or shuttle bus necessary)
- Sun protection (sun cream , hat, sunglasses)
- Swimming kit (bathing suit, towel, water shoes)
- Shoes must be closed (no flipflops)
- Change of clothes (a shower is available)
cash, credit/debit cards, cheques vacances.
From the Base to the Béal Dam
|Duration||Tarrif per canoe|
|*4 seater canoe for 2 adults and 2 children under 10|
from 21st April to 30th September
from 9 am to 7 pm
Aged 5 years and above